Friday, May 13, 2022

‘Filmmaker now directs PRS’

    
Dennis Bartok
The Philosophical Research Society, the center for study of hidden wisdom established by Manly P. Hall in Los Angeles in 1934, has a new Executive Director. Dennis Bartok is a longtime veteran of non-profit management who also has a background in making films.

Bartok, 57, is an alumnus of New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts who worked in film as an actor, writer, director, and producer. He also is the author of A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies.

In the not-for-profit field, Bartok worked many years for American Cinematheque in L.A.

“I’m tremendously excited to be joining the Philosophical Research Society, an organization I’ve admired and enjoyed since I first wandered into the marvelous PRS bookshop in the early 1990s when I moved to Los Angeles,” Bartok says in the Society’s announcement from yesterday. “I’m hoping my experience engaging with the general public, artists, scholars, longtime supporters, and volunteers will help PRS expand its programs, exhibits, and outreach.”

See the full statement here.
     

No comments: