Tuesday, July 13, 2021

‘Fascinating Masonic fact!’

     
While there may be a lot to say for Masonic online activities, there is no substitute for getting out and visiting in person. In May, I had reason to travel to Cape Cod, and while there, I enjoyed attending both King Hiram’s Lodge and DeWitt Clinton Lodge. Don’t ask why I still haven’t posted photos after two months, but those will come in the next editions of The Magpie Mason. Today’s Magpie post imparts a fascinating Masonic fact:

The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, on Boston Common, is just a few hundred feet from L.J. Peretti!

Located at 186 Tremont Street, this headquarters of the hemisphere’s eldest grand lodge actually is its third location, dating to 1898. L.J. Peretti, nexus of avid enthusiasts of tobacco, opened for business in 1870.

I think we can see why our brother Masons settled on that neighborhood!

But now, some photos:








A tobacco scale featuring pillars, an arch, and a keystone!

Various Dunhill straight shapes.





My purchase consisted of an ounce of each of various English, Balkan, Oriental, and Cavendish mixtures. The quality is superb! If you’re agonizing over trying to get a sample of any Esoterica mixture, do yourself a favor and just order L.J. Peretti house blends. They’ll ship to you. I’ve been puffing happily since I left the store. 


I was on my way home, and it was almost past visiting hours at the grand lodge, so I didn’t knock on the door. Nor did I have time to get to Leavitt and Peirce in Cambridge. Definitely next time.
     

No comments: