Sunday, March 28, 2021

‘Never gonna do it without the fez on’

Today, I finally make a point to sit down and watch D.W. Young’s documentary from last year The Booksellers. A few minutes in, a dealer of, what he calls, esoteric books is on camera. Didn’t catch his name.

     


Another National Grotto Day is in the books. At Azim, sixteen new Prophets received the mysteries of the Order in what was a fairly well attended ceremony, all things considered. I was genuinely moved by the atrociousness of the occasion.

I’ll have to update this edition of The Magpie Mason with photos when they become available later. We were enjoined from photographing, but an official photographer was on hand, and our Facebook page will have the evidence soon.

UPDATE:
Okay, okay. I’ll volunteer to be the photographer next time.


One additional great moment came when a lifetime achievement award was presented to Prophet Leon Weinstein in thanks especially for his keeping Azim alive years ago when all seemed lost. Then in 2010, this Grotto was revived by the arrival of a new generation, so the boos and hollers of Sympathy and Good Fellowship shall reverberate throughout Masonic Hall for future Veiled Prophets.

I had the chance to attend one of the Zoom conferences hosted during the winter in preparation for today’s nationwide event, and one of the facts I took away from the conversation is the awe in which Azim is regarded across the Enchanted Realm. Grottoes throughout the country are looking to New York City to learn how it’s done. Of course you’d expect that in any case, but it’s nice to hear.
   

2 comments:

Still Justa Mason said...

Hi, Magpie. Long time, no comment.
I'm happy to hear the Grotto is doing well there. The Grotto here in Vancouver decided to pack it in when the Masonic Hall they were meeting in was sold. I had demitted some time before that but dropped into an anniversary dinner to see the few oldtimers and wives I knew.
Justa (ex-Van Zor)
https://stilljustamason.blogspot.com

Magpie Mason said...

Justa! Great to know you’re still out there. I hope you are doing well.

My condolences on the violence done yesterday. Unbelievable.

Please keep on blogging.

Jay