Thursday, November 4, 2021

‘An apron that says just enough’

   


“Superfluous compliments and all affectation of ceremony are to be avoided, yet where due they are not to be neglected.”

Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior


Buzz on Masonic social media today doesn’t fail to remind us that George Washington was initiated into the fraternity at the lodge in Fredericksburg, Virginia on this date in 1752. Vivat! (I’m looking forward to Mark Tabbert’s book on this historical giant’s Masonic life, which is due to be published in 2022.)

And tomorrow will be the 24th anniversary of the night I was raised to the Sublime Degree in the former Menorah Lodge 249, an event not quite as consequential.

But I just wanted to post this well known image. Washington as a Freemason is a lithograph from Strobridge & Gerlach circa 1866. It was posted on Facebook today by Mount Vernon with a link to a summary of what the historic site has to say about Masonry.

I like the apron he is shown wearing. Simple, but says everything. It doesn’t resemble any of the aprons Washington is known to have owned.

For a long while I have wanted to have something very similar made for my travels, but it’ll show a subtle difference or three. I’ll get it in time for the silver anniversary of my initiation next June.
     

No comments: