Sunday, September 29, 2024

‘No headline for this post’

    
Grand Lodge of New York MM° lecture.

Thank you for reading The Magpie Mason. Today we begin our seventeenth year together, but there’s a good chance it’ll be our last. When my term as Master of The ALR concludes at the end of next June, my activities in the Craft will become far fewer, and your favorite blog on the subject of Freemasonry most likely will be shuttered. I simply don’t have time to continue the way I want to do it.

For example, it’s been more than a month but I still haven’t written up the MRF symposium in Philly. It’s been almost four months, and I haven’t finished telling you about my Masonic trip to New Orleans. The Masonic conference on the Boston Tea Party’s 250th anniversary was last December, and I haven’t finished up that one. The Masonic Con in June of last year also. You get the idea.

I started The Magpie Mason to give documentary evidence that not everything in Freemasonry in the United States is tedious and mendacious. I was a <cough> “New Jersey Freemason” back then, and at that time if something cultural happened there it was because I and/or my friends made it happen. There are so many who have walked away from the fraternity, laughing at us, because their experiences had nothing to do with what is promised in our ceremonies and literature. So I thought The Magpie Mason could prove that not everything in Masonry is lame and puerile to give hope and even some direction to those who would improve their lodges.

While the number of Masons who have told me this website has been somewhat inspiring can be counted on one hand, I always figured it could be mined for ideas. I know books I’ve written about have been bought and read as a result. I definitely know speakers I’ve praised here have been invited to additional engagements. Designs on the trestleboard at This lodge have been copied at That lodge. Etcetera. How many Masons had no idea what Masonic Week was before reading about it here?

I don’t think I’m filling that need any longer. Plus, time is short, and could be enjoyed doing other things. “The Scythe is an emblem of time” and all that. Also, the readership isn’t as large as it has been. If the analytics can be trusted, The Magpie retains a loyal following in the New York City area, but I don’t think New York Freemasonry needs me for advice.

Again, thanks for reading, especially if you’ve been following for years.
     

No comments: