Saturday, May 4, 2024

‘Kaywoodie lives on, thanks to New York Mason’

    
Magpie file photo

S.M. Frank and Co., the business that makes the legendary Kaywoodie brand of pipes, will live on, thanks to the Brother Mason who purchased the company. W. Bro. Nathan Davis, who has been selling the brand’s briars as Greywoodie, LLC in recent years, made the deal with longtime owner Bill Feuerbach, who continued his family tradition into its fourth generation until seeking retirement. From an announcement today:


It has been announced just about everywhere, and more interviews are coming, however, I wanted to take a personal approach here. I bought Kaywoodie after five years of selling Kaywoodie pipes, having given up a thirteen-year career to do so.

Greywoodie photo

I never imagined it would happen like this, for all the good and bad. Using a 100-year-old Kaywoodie pen to buy the 173-year-old company really just put that last piece together for me. I found a way to make this a true career, and not just a hobby.

Without Bill Feuerbach supporting me and teaching me quite literally everything, this could not have happened. I am honored that he trusts me to carry his fourth generation family business forward. I hope I can do something that would make the Kaufmann Brothers, Mr. Bondy, Mr. Frank, and four Feuerbach men proud.


Known for quality briar skillfully made into good smokers and retailed at reasonable prices, the brand dates to the early twentieth century. People aren’t aware, but there was a time when Kaywoodie enjoyed a stronger reputation than Dunhill when it came to quality pipes. Read more here at Pipedia.

Magpie file photo

In my own pipe racks, not only has Kaywoodie the largest population, but my all time favorite briar is a straight billiard I bought at the New York Pipe Show at the Ramada in 1999.

Nathan is Worshipful Master—at least until next month—of Cobleskill Lodge 394, located near Albany. He was one of several Masons I’d meet every December at the Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest and Hudson Valley Pipe Club Holiday Party, which had been hosted at S.M. Frank’s factory when I began attending twelve or so years ago. The pandemic kiboshed that in 2020, but when asked on social media if he might revive that tradition, Nathan said he’d love to bring it back. (He actually did get the contest going this year, but naturally it’s not the same atmosphere without the party.)

Congratulations, Nathan! I, uh, kind of acquired all the pipes I need for this lifetime, but I may buy one more to celebrate your milestone.
    

No comments: