Sunday, October 10, 2010

‘Passion, tenacity, and prowess’

    
After the cornerstone ceremony (See “Consecrating the stone” below), I was off to Manhattan for One World Symphony’s second performance in its tenth anniversary season at Church of the Holy Apostles on Ninth Avenue.

The New York Daily News wrote Bro. Michael Crane’s performance was “a fete of sheer passion, tenacity, and prowess.” And so it was.
 
Crane, a member of Kane Lodge No. 454 of the Fourth Manhattan District, played Sergei Prokofiev’s Concerto No. 4 (For the Left Hand), Op. 53. Composed in 1931 (debuted in 1956), Prokofiev dedicated this piece to pianist Paul Wittgenstein, who lost his right arm in World War I. The calamities and horrors of war were thematic for the program of the evening. The repertoire can be read here.

I was too busy applauding to get a photo of Bro. Crane after his performance, but here are a few random shots from before the concert:



Church of the Holy Apostles is located at 296 Ninth Ave.



Its gorgeous interior with vaulted ceiling.



The church organ.


Tuning and warming up before the concert.




Mindful of the anti-war theme of the evening’s program, I was stunned upon my arrival at the church to find directly across the street this World War I memorial to the soldiers and sailors from Chelsea who fought in The Great War. Coincidental, yet powerful. This doughboy faces the church.
     

2 comments:

Chris said...

Somehow the pictures of Holy Apostles did not come out. Sad for me, as I was received into the Episcopal Church there and attended for about 2-1/2 years before moving out of the area.

W.Bro. Chris Hansen, WM
Goliath Lodge #5595, UGLE
(speaking only for myself)

Magpie Mason said...

Sorry about the photos Chris. I can see them on my end, but I can't fix it for you.

Jay